The Orthodox Christian Parish of the Holy and Life Giving Cross belongs to the Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland.
The Holy Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is served every Saturday (or Sunday on the last weekend of each month) at 10:00 a.m. at the Chaplaincy Centre of Lancaster University (find us). Other Orthodox services are being held according to the Orthodox calendar. Please, contact us for more information on the exact time and date of the services.
We are a relatively small parish led by Fr. Jonathan Hemmings, but with faithful from more than half a dozen nationalities! The Parish serves the liturgical and pastoral needs of Orthodox Christians studying and teaching at Lancaster University.
We enjoy our fellowship, having meals together and taking part in pilgrimages to Orthodox monasteries, churches, ancient Christian sites and other worship places (photos). We produce a newsletter each month with our news and spiritual food for thought. We also work in translations, and have translated St. Lioba's life from English to Greek and St. Joachim's life from Greek to English (more information here). Please also see the holy tasks page with details about our work, and our treasures page with information on the icons and holy relics of St. Nicholas Planas and St. Joachim of Ithaca, that our parish is blessed to have.
- On Forgiveness Sunday, Fr. Jonathan met some of his spiritual children and Old Stavronians at St George's Cathedral in London (photo right).
- After the decision of the Holy Synod of Antioch on 15th October 2013 our Antiochian Orthodox Deanery of the United Kingdom and Ireland (part of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Europe) was made defunct. All the parishes of the deanery (including us) now belong to the newly established Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland !
- Our newsletter, the March Stavronian, is out! Read it here.
- The winter edition of the new Archdiocese's newsletter, Cornerstone, is out! Read it here. Here is the October edition of Constiinta Ortodoxa, an Orthodox newsletter from our brother Parish in Romania.
- Fr. Jonathan has recently written and had published "Fountains in the Desert" (in English and Romanian) which is based on the sayings of St Antony the Great. Please contact us for orders (priced £7.50 plus postage & packaging).
- Also available is the story of Fr. Michael Harper's 48 year long ministry "Visited by God" told by Kh Jeanne Harper. The foreword to the book is written by Prof. David Frost, Principal of the Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies, Cambridge. Fr.Jonathan wrote the last chapter on Fr. Michael's contribution to the formation of the Antiochian Deanery. Available priced £7.50 (plus postage and packaging).
- Please consider supporting the very worthy work to build a Pan-Orthodox Monastery with services in English on the Scottish Island of Mull (website in English and Romanian). You can donate online here.