Christ is Risen! He is Risen Indeed!
Христос Воскресе! Воистину Воскресе!
Hristos a înviat! Adevărat a înviat!
Christus ist auferstanden! Er ist wahrhaftig auferstanden!
Cristo è risorto! È veramente risorto!
Le Christ est ressuscité! Vraiment Il est ressuscité!
Cristo ressuscitou! Verdadeiramente ressuscitou!
Cristo ha resucitado! Verdaderamente, ha resucitado!
Al-Masih-Qam! Hakkan Qam!
The Orthodox Christian Parish of the Holy and Life Giving Cross belongs to the Antiochian Orthodox Deanery of the United Kingdom and Ireland, which is part of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Europe.
The Holy Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom is served every Saturday (or Sunday on the last weekend of each month) at 10:00 a.m. at the Chaplaincy Centre of Lancaster University (find us). Other Orthodox services are being held according to the Orthodox calendar. Please, contact us for more information on the exact time and date of the services.
We are a relatively small parish led by Fr. Jonathan Hemmings, but with faithful from more than half a dozen nationalities! The Parish serves the liturgical and pastoral needs of Orthodox Christians studying and teaching at Lancaster University.
We enjoy our fellowship, having meals together and taking part in pilgrimages to Orthodox monasteries, churches, ancient Christian sites and other worship places (photos). We produce a newsletter each month with our news and spiritual food for thought. We also work in translations, and have translated St. Lioba's life from English to Greek and St. Joachim's life from Greek to English (more information here). Please also see the holy tasks page with details about our work, and our treasures page with information on the icons and holy relics of St. Nicholas Planas and St. Joachim of Ithaca, that our parish is blessed to have.
News and Notices
- You can find the services for Holy Week here or in our calendar page.
- Our newsletter, the May Stavronian, is out! Read it here.
- The spring edition of our deanery's newsletter, Cornerstone, is out! Read it here.
- A new series of IOCS Community Days: "Meeting the Fathers" in Cambridge, as follows :
More information here.
- For those who fancy a summer vacation in Cambridge, with as much or as little academic study as you can manage, IOCS' Summer School has proved ideal: stimulating topic, students from the world over, daily services, good food and accommodation, wonderful company. The topic next year will be "Angels: Heavenly and Fallen", and the Summer School will take place between 14-19 July 2013. For more information contact IOCS directly here.
- The Orthodox Fellowship of St. John the Baptist is organising an International Congress on the next topic: "The Liturgy: the Entrance into the Kingdom". The conference will be held on 12-14 July 2013. Speakers include Metropolitan Jonah (Paffhausen), USA, and Archimandrite Zacharias of the Monastery of St. John the Baptist. Other speakers to be confirmed. For more information please click here.